It’s Thursday! This week is going by pretty fast for me and I am certainly not complaining! This morning I want to give everyone a little wedding update!
Tuesday afternoon I mentioned that Nolan and I had a wedding errand to run. This was a meeting with our Justice of the Peace officiant! We met to discuss “our story” and what we envision for our wedding ceremony.
When I initially spoke with the JP, Nolan and I were given “homework.” We were to come prepared to answer the following questions:
- How did we meet
- Why/what do we love about each other
- Why are we choosing to get married
Nolan and I were introduced by our friend Jake a few days before we went away to college in 2005. We were both going to the same school, so our friend thought it would be a good idea for us to know each other. 6 months later we were dating.
The second and third sound simple enough, but that they were particularly difficult to put into words. I kept wanting to say “Because he’s Nolan!” but I knew that would not suffice. After some nervous laughter and sideways glances, these are some of the reasons I came up with.
- We complement each other very well. Where I lack, he pick’s up my slack always and without hesitation.
- He is the only person I have ever felt 100% comfortable with. He has never ever judged me and he has always stood by my decisions.
- To everyone who knows him, Nolan is the most loyal and considerate person in the universe (to a fault sometimes.) He puts everyone’s needs before his own and he doesn’t have a selfish bone in his body.
Since we are having a non denominational ceremony, anything goes! We have the freedom of selecting what we do and do not want said, and what we do and do not want to take place. Although nothing is set in stone, here are some of our thoughts
- Traditional vows. Although we agreed it can be very sweet and endearing when couples write their own vows, we decided it’s just not for us. If it’s not broke don’t fix it!
- A Unity candle
- The traditional reading from Corinthians:
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
- The Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon the fields.
May the light of friendship guide your paths together.
May the laughter of children grace the halls
of your home.
May the joy of living for one another trip a smile
from your lips,
A twinkle from your eye.
And when eternity beckons,
at the end of a life heaped high with love,
May the good Lord embrace you
with the arms that have nurtured you
the whole length of your joy-filled days.
May the gracious God hold you both
in the palm of His hands.
And, today, may the Spirit of Love
find a dwelling place in your hearts.
Our JP was very helpful in the design process. When needed, opinions were given but certainly not forced. This was certainly one of those wedding errands that made the whole thing seem so real! Although the wedding is a mere 135 days away, it still seems like an eternity!
Enjoy the day everyone!
What is something special you are incorporating or would like to incorporate into your ceremony and why.