Hey everyone! Happy Friday! I will admit that when you don’t have a job, it is VERY difficult to remember what day it is haha.
Last night I worked a gig for job # 4 at the fabulous Fenway Park! It was a corporate party and they rented out the whole stadium!
The Sox are on a road trip so the Fenway crew was prepping for the Pink Floyd concert on Sunday.
We got there pretty early for the event so I was able to roam around an empty ball park and do some exploring. I even got a free Fenway Frank and fries. It was so cool!And I got paid to be there. 🙂
Lately I have been doing some research on how to save money in the summer. It is no secret that I am currently for lack of a better term unemployed. A perk to teaching is having summers off however people forget that this means no weekly pay check.
Although I currently have 5 odd jobs and Nolan to pick up my temporary financial slack, it still doesn’t amount to a hearty income. So far I have done a fair job seeking Free Fun, but I am always looking for new ways to save some $$! This is a list of suggestions I have found that I think I could practically incorporate into my summer.
Summer money saving tips:
- If possible, walk to local stores instead of driving. Gas prices can get very high around the summer holiday season and some places start charging for parking
- Turn off the a.c. at night and anytime you leave the house
- Let your laundry dry outside Save unnecessary heat and $$ (especially if you have a quarter pig like I do.)
- Make your own summer beverages such as ice tea and coffee. Freeze old coffee in ice cube trays and blend it for a frozen drink. (Check out my recent recipes for ice tea, coffee frappes, and sangria.
- Buy fresh produce at a Farmer’s Market instead of a supermarket It’s fresher, and typically cheaper.
- Pack a picnic instead of eating out Soak up some vitamin D while enjoying cheap food with friends 🙂
- Take advantage of local free event Many towns offer free or discounted summer concerts, festivals, and activities.
- Cut down on the cable. Get rid of unnecessary channels. This will get you out of the house and active while saving some $$.
- Go to a drive-in theater instead of a movie theater- It’s much cheaper and a nice change from the standard theater.
- Shop at thrift stores for a vintage summer wardrobe!
- Instead of hitting up an ice cream shop, freeze yogurt for a guilt free frozen treat! This can help save $$ and calories!
- Have a yard sale! Get rid of all that unnecessary clutter AND make some $$
- Plan fun “Stay cations” Do it up right and create the illusion that you are on vacation!
- Drink water! Summer is an important time to stay hydrated. Water is free-and calorie free. Put the soda away.
As I said there are hundreds of money saving summer tips out there but these are some that I can realistically see myself doing. There are a few things on this list that I already have planned in the near future. 🙂
It’s time to announce the winner of my giveaway! Before I announce the winner, I just want to say thank you to everyone who entered and made my first giveaway on SLF a success.
Drum roll please……………………
Congrats Julie!!!! Please send me your mailing info at email@example.com and your package of sensible snacks will be on their way. 🙂
How do you plan on saving some $$ this summer?
What is your favorite summer beverage?